EAVA FM - Multilingual Community Radio, 102.5 FM, Leicester, UKEAVA FM - Serving The Community


     Follow EAVA FM on Facebook Follow EAVA FM on Twitter Watch EAVA FM on YouTube Follow EAVA FM on Mixcloud Follow EAVA FM on Myspace

Latest News

Asylum, Immigration, Eligibility of Working and Living in the UK

Added: Thursday 16th February 2012 10:51:45 AM

Asylum, Immigration, Eligibility of Working and Living in the UK

When it comes to asylum, immigration, eligibility of working and living in the UK many people may not know what is allowed so we asked EAVA FM's expert Minesh Ruparelia for advice.

To be eligible or recognised as an asylum you must have left your country and not able to return due to the fear of persecution because of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership of a particular social group. The UK is a part of the "European Convention on Human Rights" which stops the UK from sending back anyone who is at a high risk of being tortured, inhuman or degrading treatment and punishment.

If you aren't eligible for asylum but cannot go back to your country due to humanitarian reasons and you must stay in the UK then you may be offered a temporary permission to stay in the UK.

If you would like to apply for asylum and you are already in the UK then you must book an appointment with the UKBA asylum screening unit in Croydon, South London. If you would like any of your dependants to be a part of your application then they must attend the screening also.

When you attend your screening you must bring with you your passport and passports of your spouse and any dependants in the UK. You must also bring with you police registration certificates if you have them, any other identification, other documents which would support your application and evidence of your accommodation. The asylum screening unit offers an appointment based system, but also accepts walk in applications but due to the high number of applicants you may not be seen so it's strongly advised to book an appointment.

If you want to visit the UK for a short time as a businessperson, sportsperson or entertainer you may be able to come here as a visitor.

If you are looking for information on work permits and trying to obtain one then you must know that the UK operates a point-based system.

There are three categories that you will fall into these are "high-value migrants", "skilled workers" and "temporary workers".

High value migrants are investors, entrepreneurs, exceptionally talented people and recent graduates from UK universities. These people can all apply to live and work in the UK even if you haven't had a job offer but you will need to pass a point based assessment.

Skilled workers can carry out a job in the UK if they have been offered a job in the UK and your prospective employer is willing to sponsor you.

Temporary workers can work in the UK for a short period of time if the company in the UK is willing to sponsor you or if you're a national from a country which participates in the youth mobility scheme.

Other workers such as domestic workers can apply to work in the UK if you're the sole representative of an overseas firm, a representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation.

This information was taken from www.justlegalgroup.co.uk if you need help or advice on legal matters then contact Minesh Ruparelia from Just Legal Group for free advice on 0116 2664 680.

Written by Gavin Lewis & Uploaded by VZONE Multimedia